The Apex Legends Season 14 update is here, and the changes bring another facelift to the highly frenetic battle royale.
Every drop in Apex Legends is a new experience: hunt down to the last chest for the best loot, fight to defeat other squads in their favorite spots, and try to keep your cool under fire. But unlike other battle royale blockbusters like Fortnite or Warzone, Apex Legends prioritized its own style of high-speed movement and character abilities. So while you spend time fiddling with weapon attachments, you won’t have anyone turning into a house when you shoot them or you’ll have to fight in the gulag to get back into the fight.
With Apex Legends season 13 we’ve seen some ranked changes (which looked terrible for the lower ranks initially), changes to Stormpoint and the new legend Newcastle – and Apex Legends season 14 isn’t being stingy with its Hunted update. If you’re coming back to Apex Legends, never left, or just decided to pick up one of the best free games recently: there’s a lot to learn, so let’s get right down to it.
Apex Legends Update: Straight to the Point
- What is it? Respawn’s high-speed battle royale season 14
- When can I play? august 9
- What can I play on? PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and PC
Apex Legends season 14: release date and platforms
Apex Legends Season 14 Hunted was released on August 9 at 1:00 PM (EST)/10:00 PST/18:00 BST, 03:00 ACT (on August 10).
You will be able to enter Kings Canyon on PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X | S and PC with full crossplay as before.
If you’ve been putting off and playing on PS5 or Xbox Series X, there’s now also a next-gen update for Apex Legends live!
Apex Legends season 14: trailers
There are a couple of trailers to accompany the Apex Legends update, and they give a glimpse into Hunted’s stories. Below you will find the gameplay and launch trailer.
Apex Legends season 14 gameplay trailer
Some big changes to Kings Canyon are showcased and you’ll also see the new Vantage legend in action, which is a long-range horror. Check it out below:
Apex Legends Season 14 launch trailer
With the launch trailer, we have a little more backstory for Vantage, seeing her first moments as a rookie in the Apex Games and more about her imprisoned mother Xenia. Take a look below:
Apex Legends season 14: map updates
The venerable Kings Canyon has been renovated and is now being called Reforged Kings Canyon. Respawn hasn’t been conservative with the changes either and since our time it brings more openness alongside a splash of more color. Hunted is a huge improvement, so here’s what’s changed:
- Relic (New POI): Replacing the giant hole left in Season 5 by Skull Town and Thunderdome, Relic is an extensive collection of buildings under and around the original iconic skull.
- Cage (modified POI): The giant tower is now much less a cage, as the name suggests, and the entire top is now open and easy to access.
- Slope (modified POI): The hillside bunker near Containment received a makeover, with the building being removed to get rid of interior spaces.
- Basin (Modified POI): Formerly Broken Relay, Basin has had the buildings removed and zip lines restored and its name updated to reflect.
- Map center (changed rotations): The path through the mountains connected Destroyed Bridges, River Center and Hillside, but the path to Destroyed Bridges is now gone.
- Caves (changed rotations): The cave that connected Marketplace and River Center is now gone.
- Caves (general change): The entrance to the cave in the Marketplace has been enlarged and made more obvious.
- Chokepoint near the cage (general change): The path through the mountains has been opened up, giving players much better visibility.
Looting around the Reforged Kings Canyon has also been shaken. The distribution between different POIs has been rebalanced, with Crash Site and Spotted Lakes getting weaker and Runoff, Hydro Dam, Swamps and Octane’s Gauntlet getting stronger.
Overall, the amount of loot present has increased – especially in buildings – and the quality of the loot should more intuitively match the importance of the POI.
There have also been several minor changes to Reforged Kings Canyon, which you can check out below:
- Added a new elevated walkway to help players switch between Broken Bridges and Downtown River.
- Added two sets of stairs and two zip lines to help non-moving Legends access Repulsor walls.
- Added a vertical zipline to help non-moving Legends access the Artillery wall.
- Added two vertical ziplines to help players access walkways in the swamps.
- Added a new explosive hold in Swamps.
- Removed several trees in the Forest to improve visibility.
- Removed two of the three Charge Towers on the Capacitor.
- Removed five Leap Towers in areas that would benefit from slower rotations.
- Fixed a lot of bugs and bad end circles.
Apex Legends season 14: new legend
A new season brings a lot of changes, and in this case, another new legend. Vantage is a teenager and new to the Apex Games, but a deadly sniper with a rocket and an adorable bat friend to help her. She was born on a deadly ice planet and, at age 18, discovered that her mother was not a native, but a prisoner who had crash-landed.
Unfortunately for both of them, Vantage was injured, and her mother saved her by calling in the same people who imprisoned her – saving Vantage but putting her mother back in the space prison. So now Vantage is taking the fight to the Apex Games to try and bring attention to his wrongfully convicted mother, and the best way to do that is to beat them, of course.
So, let’s take a look at what Vantage can do:
- Passive skill (observer lens): Whenever you aim while unarmed or equipped with a mid to long range scope, you get a bullet drop indicator to help you figure out where your shots will land.
- Tactical Skill (Echo Relocation): Allows you to aim your Echo bat friend before launching it towards the location you send it to with your rocket.
- Ultimate Ability (Sniper’s Mark): Marks enemy targets and applies a damage bonus to you and your team.
With the ability to land long-range shots with ease, help your squad confirm kills with a damage bonus, and move quickly, the Vantage is set to be an excellent choice for the marksman in all of us.
Apex Legends season 14: battle pass
A new season means a new battle pass, and Hunted is bringing one to Apex Legends season 14. Access to the premium version of the pass will cost 950 Apex Coins ($10 / £8 / $AU11.95).
In terms of cosmetics, you can see some of them showcased in the trailer above, including new skins for Caustic, Wraith, and Horizon.
Apex Legends season 14: Game changes
There are also a host of other changes in Apex Legends Season 14, including a level cap increase that many of the most dedicated players have asked for. Here are the game changes you need to know about:
- Level cap increase: Level cap has been increased from 500 to 2000, so now when you level up by 500 you will be reset to 1 with a new golden border, up to twice.
- Skull Punch: The rifling hop-up attachment is back, giving you a headshot damage bonus. It is now also compatible with the 30-30 repeater.
- Laser sight: A new barrel attachment is here specifically for pistols and SMGs, improving your hip shooting accuracy.
- Guardian Angel: The golden backpack perk is shifting to gold shields, and the backpacks now have a new perk called Deep Pockets, which allows you to stack an extra shield battery, medkit, and phoenix kit per slot.
- Resurrection: The old knockdown shield perk has been removed completely.
- Rampage LMG and Bocek Bow: Both weapons are now supply delivery weapons.
- Volt SMG and G7 Scout: Both weapons are now ground loot.
- EVA-8: It has an increased rate of fire, further bolstered with updated bolt attachments.
- Right arm: Now carries sniper ammo and magazine attachments.
- Spitfire: Now carries light ammo and magazine accessories.